Sunday, February 06, 2011

Heart Health Month

Did you know that February is Heart Health Month? Did you know that every 7 minutes in Canada, someone dies from heart disease or stroke. Heart disease and stroke are two of the three leading causes of death in Canada. These statistics are based on 2006 data (the latest year available from Statistics Canada).

In 2006 cardiovascular disease accounted for:
  • 30% of all deaths in Canada (69,019 deaths – or more than 69,000)
  • 30% of all male deaths
  • 31% of all female deaths, my mom is included in this statistic.
The good news is these statistics have been declining for the past 40 years.  For those of us who have lost loved ones to heart disease, it is only the stats above we see.
In honour of my mom's memory I wear a Red Dress pin, to promote awareness of heart disease, especially in women.  I have a few pins, if you would like one let me know and I'll send you one.

To make sure my ticker keeps on ticking, I've started on my elliptical trainer again.  It had been so long that the first day I was only able to go on for 15 minutes without seeing spots.  At least it was 15 minutes more than I had done in a long time.  Today I went on for 30 minutes.  We're making progress.  

The Beast

Are you doing anything for Heart Health Month?

2 comments:

M and M said...

Good for you for getting on the 'beast'!!

I did not know it was Heart Health Month and I didn't know those statistics either.

Michelle said...

My Mom died of heart disease. I started walking again today. I made it three miles and I thought I would die, but I did it.